Monday, March 11, 2013

Head Bursting Sambal Belacan

Ok, I guess this is something most Malaysians will find it hard to live without especially my dear husband who loves chilli and sambal a lot....

Since I bought the ingredients, why not make something...

While making it, hubby and dear daughter complain that the house stinks and I basically sin so much, I killed almost 50 or more flies that day (attracted by the belacan.. kekekekeke)




Ingredients:

  • 1 cube of Jeeny's belacan, crushed them while they are still in the packet, though it was stated that it is roasted, I still roast it on the pan without any oil for another 2-3mins.
  • 3 big size shallots
  • 5 cloves of garlic
  • a big handful of dried chillies (from the Asian grocers)
  • 2 fresh red chillies
  • 3 super spicy small red chillies (that's how Woolies labelled it)
  • a small pinch of salt
  • 5 tablespoon of sugar
  • 1 tablespoon of tamarind puree
  • some oil
  • lime juice (to be added when u want to serve only)

Methods:
  1. Roast the belacan on a dry pan with no oil, medium fire for about 2-3mins.
  2. Soaked the dried chillies. 
  3. Removed seeds from all the chillies (some left is ok).
  4. Since I wanted more flavor out of the sambal, I pounded the first 6 items first. And I dont have that much of energy to do it till they are super fine, I transferred all the ingredients into the magi mix. Include the rest of the ingredients except the lime juice. Blend till fine.
  5. Heat up the oil, saute the mixture till they are fragant and dry. This should takes at least 15mins on low to medium fire.
  6. Cool and keep in air tight container/jar. Served with lime juice.

No comments: